- Would a scientific bachelor's degree ("laurea triennale") be enough to apply?
- How many students will be admitted?
- How should applicants submit recommendation letters from their professors?
- Where will the courses take place?
- What are the admission criteria or requirements, like academic performance, TOEFL or GRE scores, research experience?
- May I attend the MHPC part-time?
- I am interested in only some of your courses. Can I just attend one single course?
- Where can I find more information about the ICTP fellowship?
- What's the category of visa that the students will be eligible for?
- When does the program start and end?
- What's the time break between periods?
- What is the official language of the master?
- Will be the MHPC continue in the next few years?
Would a scientific bachelor's degree ("laurea triennale") enough to apply?
Yes, a "laurea triennale" in any scientific field is enough from the point of view of the academic qualification. The "laurea" should be of course complemented with enthusiasm and strong interest toward HPC.
How many students will be admitted in the third edition (2016/2017) ?
How should applicants submit recommendation letters from their professors?
Where will the courses take place?
What are the admission criteria or requirements, like academic performance, TOEFL or GRE scores, research experience?
We are looking for motivated students who are keen to work hard and learn HPC skills and techniques.
Basic requirements are clearly stated on the web site:
- The ideal student for the MHPC has a strong interest in information technology problems driven by scientific research or industrial needs.
- Applicants require an academic degree, although equivalent work experience may also be considered. Work experience will be evaluated during an admissions interview.
- No prior HPC knowledge is assumed, but candidates must have some experience in programming and a competence in one of the following languages: C, C++, Fortran, Python. A sound knowledge of Linux operating system as user is also needed.
- We are proposing a self-assesment test on our e-learning platform (elearn.mhpc.it)
- Only candidates who completed the application procedure are allowed to take it in order to check if their skill fit what we require
Candidates must be fluent in English (the official language of the master).
Academic performance will be evaluated as well but we do not have any threshold set.
Research experience will be evaluated but it is definitely NOT a requirement.
May I attend the MHPC part-time?
We envision that MHPC students will attend the program fulltime. However, for students who have a job, and/or are attending a PhD course, we can allow on a case-by-case basis a different schedule for attending the master. We therefore invite people interested to apply to clearly specify their needs in the application form.
I am interested in only some of your courses. Can I just attend one single course?
We do not allow attendance of single courses for external people not officially enrolled in the program. We can, however, evaluate this opportunity for people coming from external institutions, industries or research centers who are interested in setting up an agreement with the MHPC program.
Where can I find more information about the ICTP fellowship?
What's the category of visa that the students will be eligible for?
When does the program start and end?
The program of the second edition will start on the third week of September. A detailed calendar for the new edition is under preparation and will be made available soon on the web page.
What's the time break between periods?
The break time between phases 1 2 will be between 2 and 3 weeks, while in principle there should not be any official break between phases 2 and 3. Once courses of part 2 are completed students will begin work on their on their thesis.
What is the official language of the master?
Will be the MHPC continue in the next few years?
SISSA and ICTP are committed to making the MHPC an important part of the educational offerings.